Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Some Thoughts on Motherhood

I had a wonderful Mother's Day. My oldest made a darling gift for me at school. He was asked questions about him mom and he had to fill in the blanks. I happened to be in his class when several of the groups were working on their gifts. I got a chuckle out of some of their answers. One of the questions was, "My mom loves . . ." and the kids had to answer. My son answered "me" meaning I love him. When asked that same question, one of the girls in his class responded with "texting". "My mom loves texting". Another question was, "My mom always says . . .". My sons answer was "I love you.". This little girl's answer- "toothless". Kids are so funny, and honest.
My hubby also cooked for me. He had been contemplating several gifts and I finally just said that more than anything I really just wanted someone else to plan, prepare, and clean up dinner. He did a nice job, although he had to ask me to help along the way. I do often take for granted the skills needed to prepare a meal. My husband assured me that it required him to multitask, which he does not do. But I so appreciated it!
I read some wonderful thoughts on motherhood while I was relaxing yesterday, and I just wanted to share a few of them.
First, from Elder Quentin L. Cook, "No woman should ever feel the need to apologize or feel that her contribution is less significant because she is devoting her primary efforts to raising and nurturing children.". I liked that one, because sometimes, I do feel like I am less significant for staying home. I always love a good reminder that what I am doing matters. Next, from Sheri Dew, "[Satan]does everything he can to dishonor and devalue both womanhood and motherhood. He well knows that those who rock the cradle are perhaps in the best possible position to rock his diabolical earthly empire. [He] is hoping to confuse women with wordily enticements or secular philosophies that appear more satisfying or even more enlightening".
Sheri Dew also shared this thought, "In the pre mortal world, when our Father described our role, I wonder if we didn't stand in wide-eyed wonder that He would bless us with a sacred trust so central to His plan and that He would endow us with gifts so vital to the loving and leading of His children. I wonder if we shouted for joy [over this]. The world won't tell you that, but the Spirit will.". I loved the picture that came to my mind as I imagined that scene.
Not only do I value being a mother, but I have been blessed with wonderful women who have mothered me throughhout my life. My own mom and my mother in law as well as moms of friends and wonderful leaders and teachers. Each has influenced my life in some way. Mothers really do matter. I'm so glad for a day to reflect on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...