Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Power of Moms Retreat

Ever since I was introduced to Power of Moms, just over a year ago, I have wanted to attend one of their retreats.  It seems that every time one came up in my area, I either had another commitment.  So, I was so excited when this Premium Mother's Day retreat opened up and everything worked out for me to attend. 
This one was held in Park City, Utah, at Richard and Linda Eyre's home.  There were about 85 moms in attendance. 
I think what was so cool about an event like this is that you are gathered with other like minded women, all of whom want to better themselves and their families.  It was so wonderful to share ideas and listen to those moms who are maybe at a different stage than I am and learn from their wisdom. 
Linda was our keynote speaker, and she had so many wise things to say.  She talked about realizing that as a mother, we are building for the future.  She told us to imagine what we want our families to be like in 20 or 50 or even 100 years from now.  What legacy do we want to leave?  I feel like it is so easy to look at each day as a mom and not feel like we are accomplishing anything, but when we look back, we can always see progress.   

It was so wonderful to hear these two (Richard and Linda Eyre) teaching us.  I have read their book, The Entitlement Trap, which I highly recommend, but is was fun to see how they interacted with each other.  I also enjoyed hearing them discuss the same concepts in their book, but in a setting where we can go a little deeper and ask questions.  One of the things Richard said that really stuck out to me was, "There is no such thing as a parenting expert.  You are the expert on your children." 

I love that!  We need to trust what our heart tells us is right, not always what the "experts" say is right, because in reality, WE are the experts on our children-that's why the Lord sent them to us. 
One special treat was listening to Macy Robinson sing for us.  She shared her story through song and it was so enjoyable. 
We were treated to this incredible lunch.  I would just love it is someone was around to prepare such healthy and delicious meals for me each day.  I think I'm becoming notorious for eating whatever my kids leave on their plates, or forgetting to eat all together. 
During lunch, we divided into groups where we talked about parenting partnerships and strengthening our marriage relationship so that we can be better parents.  I loved the small group visits. It is so fun to get to know other moms on a more intimate level, and to realize that many other moms are going through some of the same struggles as I am. 
This gal pictured above on the bottom right is Utah's Young Mother of the Year, Lori Conger.  She spoke to us for a bit, and I so connected with what she had to say.  She talked about how, as moms, we compare ourselves to others.  I already know I do this-in fact, I like to tell Dave that it is one my my talents I've really worked to develop.  One of the things she said was, and I'm paraphrasing: I allow too many outside influences to a overcome my feelings of self worth.
Yes!  I do that!  A lot!  She shared how she's worked to overcome this cycle, and I walked away definitely knowing that I need to work on that.  You can read more on her blog HERE. 

There was so much I took away from this retreat.  I would recommend it to everyone!  Each one is different, and there is so much more I could share, but it will be your own experience when you go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...