Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Summer Is Here!

I have been ready for summer to start for a while now.  Life has been so chaotic lately and I have been longing to spend more time with my kiddos.  It always seems that the end of the school year sucks every last second out of our lives.  For some reason, I've been a little emotional about the end of school this year, not because I didn't want it to come, but just the opposite.  It doesn't seem possible that Chad has finished 1st grade.  Life since he started school has FLOWN by. 

So, yesterday, I snapped the final picture of Chad's bus bringing him home. 
 And the final picture of him walking toward our house.  Usually, he dawdles home, but today, he knew what was awaiting him, and he hurried! 

 Truthfully, I have not had it all together, and not a lot of our summer plan was together, but I managed to get the store up.  Tyler helped me shop and create and price everything.  I'll have to add to it as the summer progresses, but I thought it turned out cute, with our little awning.  I learned a bit from doing this last year, and the items are much more expensive.  I sat with each of my boys individually to come up with ways they'll be able to earn tickets, and together, we created a chart they can refer to; things like pull 100 weeds from the garden or ride your bike for 20 minutes, read for 20 minutes or do a homework page each earn 1 ticket.  Chad is already setting out to earn that Wii game for 100 tickets. 
 This is the outside view.  I cleaned out the bottom shelf in one of my corner cupboards and a few of the items sit on the counter. 
Here's a look inside.  Pretty simple-candies, gum, Hot Wheels cars, Legos, soda pop.  I'll have to share a little more about our summer store and our summer plan as the weeks go, but for now, this is about all we have ready. 


So, here's what really got me-
I've been telling Dave that "I just want my kids back".  I am ready for the laid back, less structured feel of summer.  So, yesterday, when Chad brought me his report card, with a note from his teacher enclosed, I couldn't help but get teary when this is what it said:
 
 
Dear Parents,
I give you back your child, the same child you confidently entrusted to my care last fall.  I give him back pounds heavier, inches taller, months wiser, more responsible, and more mature than he was then. 
Although he would have attained his growth in spite of me, it has been my pleasure and privilege to watch his personality unfold day by day.  I give him back reluctantly, for having spent nine months together in the narrow confines of a crowded classroom, we have grown close, have become a part of each other, and we shall always retain a little of each other.
Ten years from now if we met on the street, your child and I, a light will shine to our eyes, a smile to our face, and we shall feel the bond of understanding once more, this bond we feel today. 
We have lived, loved, laughed, played, studied, learned, and enriched our lives together this year.  I wish it could go on indefinitely, but give him back I must.  Take care of him, for he is precious.

Yes, I truly feel that I am getting my child back.  I am so glad he had a wonderful teacher, and now, I am ready to take him back as we embark on this summer journey together.  I hope each of you are ready to create the memories of summer with your children these next few months together, before you have to give them back. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...