Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I love this season of the year! 

This pictures is when Chad was just 2 years old.  He saw what Santa had brought him and he just froze there. 

I always have.  I love the feeling that accompanies it.  I love the focus on doing for others.  I love the decorations.  I love the holiday movies.  I love the family gatherings and the traditional food.  I love the gleam in the children's eyes.  I love the smell of holiday goodies and the memories of creating those goodies with my mom as a kid.  I love all of it.  But there is one thing about this time of year that I don't love, and no matter how hard I try to avoid it, it always seems to come around.  It's the fact that this time of year is so dang BUSY!  I already feel it (as is evidenced by the fact that I haven't posted in nearly two weeks).  Each year, I commit to simplify, to rid our lives of the unnecessary extras and only focus on what I want our season to "feel" like.  But somehow, between work, home, school, and family parties, work parties, school parties, church parties, shopping, Christmas cards, neighbor gifts, decorating, wrapping and more wrapping (and the list goes on and on and on), those quiet evenings at home to soak in the season seem far and few between.  My shopping is done.  Sure, I have those few extras that will creep up.  And I have a few projects I am making still to finish.  Maybe it is the pressure on us as moms to pretty much plan, prepare and carry out the entire Christmas "experience" that makes this season so crazy.  It could be the fact that "regular" life continues to go on, not just stop because it is Christmas.  That's what I want life to do.  Stop.  Just for a little while.  Or at least slow down so we can enjoy this "most wonderful time of the year."  But is doesn't and it won't.  So what do we do?  What do you do?  I have learned to say 'no' for one.  To some things at least.  I can't do it all, and I do try to do the shopping throughout the year.  And yes, I am one of those nuts who goes out on Black Friday at midnight and then again at 4 or 5 am.  (But hey, you already know how I feel about my budget, and those deals really help me to stick to it.)  I guess that the rest of the 'enjoying' must come from our attitude.  We have to 'decide' to smile and enjoy life no matter what is going on around us.  Besides, being frustrated and upset because things aren't working like we'd like only makes matters worse.  So here's to enjoying this season.  Busyness and all.  And doing it with a smile.  Welcome to the holidays! 
 

1 comment:

  1. I often feel the same way. So much to do that things get a little hectic. I think I've said "don't touch the Christmas tree" at least 100 times today. Which led me to bring out the Little People nativity set And set it up on the entertainment center so they would have sometime to touch instead. This year I'm trying to prioritize the season. I'm putting all the musts (must try at least) into our advent calendar. I'll let everything else happen or not. I have to remind myself that things should be fun and enjoyable. If it isn't perhaps it's not worth doing. Just my two cents. And hopefully I can stick with it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...